theRecord relies on contributions from people with convictions. Articles are nearly always written by people with convictions rather than by organisations, and this page is aimed at those who wish to contribute their own stories and experiences of overcoming the issues relating to their criminal record.
This approach to contributions ensures that it remains a community magazine that is independent, impartial and honest. We consider contributions from others as part of the advertising part of theRecord.
Interested in contributing?
Email your contributions to email@example.com.
Ways in which you can help includes:
- Writing articles – we’re particularly keen to highlight ‘success stories’ of where people with convictions have to some extent overcome the challenge faced by their criminal record
- Highlighting issues – part of the role for theRecord is to highlight the difficulties that people face as a result of their criminal record
- Commenting – you can comment on specific posts, or discuss a particular article by starting a thread on Unlock’s online forum
- Providing other forms of contribution (such as videos, audio or artwork)
- Commenting on recent news and developments
- Helping us develop the magazine, including marketing, developing advertising, sourcing contributors and increasing readership
If you have any other ideas of getting involved, or have any comments/suggestions, please get in touch by email.
Notes for contributors
We don’t have any strict rules on what contributions should look like, but there are a couple of areas worth mentioning:
- Personal details – To protect your identity, we recommend that you make changes to your contribution so that no personal details are visible. We review all contributions before they are published, and if we think that there are any personal details visible, we may make edits to make sure that you cannot be identified.
- Length – There is no specific word count, although articles should generally be no more than 500 words. If you think it needs to be more than that, think about splitting it down into a couple of separate pieces.
- Publication – We cannot guarantee to publish everything that we receive. However, we guarantee to consider every contribution. If we decide to publish, we may make some editorial amendments. We will always provide a draft copy for you to approve before we publish; this is to ensure that you’re happy with any edits that we may have made, and to ensure that your identity is protected.
Make a contribution
If you would like to contribute to theRecord please email your contribution to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don’t have access to email, you can submit articles in writing to theRecord, Unlock, MCSC, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1HH. Please note: Submitting articles by post should only be used in exceptional circumstances (for example, if you are in prison or don’t have access to the internet) and you should not send originals as we’re unable to return any correspondence.